Glorify and enjoy God through worship, education and service.
First Presbyterian Church is a worshiping, welcoming Community of Faith. We are called by God to be ambassadors of Christ to all people through preaching the Gospel, teaching discipleship and serving in the name of Christ Jesus.
STAFF MINISTRY TEAM
Pastor – Rev. Rusty Cowden
Director of Music Ministry – Melanie A. Vlad
The Session, the governing body of our Church, is composed of Elders elected by the congregation. The Session includes these eight committees, each of which is chaired by an Elder:
- Christian Education
- Worship and Music
- Finance and Stewardship
- Staff Relations
- Church Growth/Church Life
Deacons, who meet monthly, coordinate the welfare activities of the Church. Their work is divided into three categories:
- Congregational Care – Provides comfort to and maintains contact with congregational shut-ins and members who reside at Park Vista. We visit our friends at Park Vista the last Sunday of each month; check the church calendar for exact dates and times.
- Fellowship – Schedules and serves fellowship events and receptions.
- Mission – Organizes and serves the monthly free community lunch as well as other mission projects.
- Youth – Classes meet from 9 to 10 a.m. Sunday mornings beginning in September each program year and ending in May. Children in Kindergarten thru grade 5 participate in the rotation model classes. Grades 6 through 8 meet for traditional classes as do grades 9 through 12.
- Adult – A Bible foundation course, led by lay persons, at 9 a.m. on Sundays.
- Baptism, celebrated for both adults and infants, is performed during worship service and by arrangement with the pastor.
- Communion is celebrated monthly and during special services such as Ash Wednesday. All who have accepted Christ as their savior and youth who understand its meaning may partake of the elements.
- Weddings must be scheduled with the pastor. Call the Church Office at 330-393-1524 for more information.
- Confirmation classes are offered every other year for students in grades 9-12.